CliffsAP English Language and CompositioneBook - 2001
CliffsAP study guides help you gain an edge on Advanced Placement* exams. Review exercises, realistic practice exams, and effective test-taking strategies are the key to calmer nerves and higher AP* scores.
CliffsAP English Language and Composition, 2nd Edition, is for college-bound students who are preparing to take the AP English Language and Composition Exam, which colleges use to assess your ability to perform college-level work. This easy-to-use guide provides you with insight into both the multiple choice and free-response sections of the exam. Inside, you'll find
- Five full-length practice tests
- A detailed overview of the different types of multiple choice questions
- Explanations of how the essays are scored
- Sample topics with actual student essays
- A diagnostic mini-test to help you assess your test-taking strengths and weaknesses
The exam's multiple choice questions are designed to test your ability to analyze prose passages, and the free response section tests your writing ability in a variety of modes and for a variety of purposes. This guide shows you plenty of examples of each, covering the following areas:
- Rhetoric and rhetorical modes, and author meaning and purpose
- Organization and structure
- The main idea of a passage
- Planning and writing your essay
- Suggestions on writing style
- Plus, a glossary of terms for the multiple choice and free response sections
This comprehensive guide offers a thorough review of key concepts and detailed answer explanations. It’s all you need to do your best — and get the college credits you deserve.
*Advanced Placement Program and AP are registered trademarks of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.